MATH 340-3: Algebra II: Rings and Fields, Fall 2017
- We meet Mondays at 11:30am-12:20pm in AQ 3003, Wednesdays and Fridays at 11:30-12:20pm in K9500
- The final exam is on Sunday December 10th at 12:00-15:00pm. Room TBA.
- The textbook Introduction to Applied Algebraic Systems by Norman Reilly is available online.
- For more info see the course information sheet here.
- Proving theorems about the integers, the Euclidean algorithm and modular arithmetic.
- Rings and fields: polynomial rings, the field of complex numbers.
- Finite fields: their construction and application to error correcting codes.
- An introduction to ideals and groups.
Handouts posted here.
Euclidean Algorithm (.pdf) theorem Handout for Monday Sept 11th.
Notes on complex numbers, the fundamental theorem of algebra, and roots of unity: ComplexNumbers.pdf