(in Adobe .pdf)
Office hours - Review session - Final exam.
- Assignment solutions given Tuesday, December 7th, 12:30-14:00 in K9509
- Prof office hour, Wednesday December 8th, 2-3pm in K10501
- Final exam, Thursday December 9th, 12pm-3pm in AQ 3153
- Exam info sheet
MATH 340-3: Algebra II: Rings and Fields, Fall 2010
- We meet Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 11:30-12:20am in WMC 2202
- The final exam is on Thursday December 9th at 12:00-15:00.
- The textbook Introduction to Applied Algebraic Systems by Norman Reilly is available at the bookstore.
- For more info I will put the course information sheet here.
- Proving theorems about the integers, the Euclidean algorithm and modular arithmetic.
- Rings and fields, polynomial rings, the field of complex numbers.
- Finite fields, their construction and application to error correcting codes.
- Using the computer algebra system Maple for computations in algebra.
- An introduction to groups and their connection with rings and fields.
Handouts (Maple worksheets and notes) posted here.
Notes on complex numbers, the fundamental theorem of algebra, and roots of unity: ComplexNumbers.pdf
The Cayley Table for 2 by 2 invertible matrics over GF(2): D3CayleyTable.mw